Savoury, Creamy and Succulent, what is it about Lasagna that always leaves us craving for more? Here is an easy dinner date idea with endless possibilities for variation. In this recipe tender lasagna rolls are filled with a ricotta-spinach-prawn mixture, and baked in a special sauce. Combine these roll ups with a classic salad and some garlic bread on the side and you have got an amazing meal that has date night written all over it. Ok Ok… if you don’t have a date… do make it for the family dinner and if you are single, just pack them in individual portions and pop them in the freezer.
Let me tell you making Lasagna is fairly easy, but making Lasagna Roll-Ups is FUN! Add your favorite meat or sea food and explore an all new dimension altogether. Let your imagination wander….
Here is my recipe for Prawn Lasagna Roll-Ups…
Prep time: 20 mins (if you got your Cleaned, Peeled & Deveined Medium Prawns from Fishvish it should have been thawed out already)
Cook time: 30 mins
- 500g medium prawns of your choice (Or order ½ Kg Medium Prawns from Fishvish like I did)
For the marinade (Marinate the prawns for 20 minutes)
- 1 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Garlic
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
For the Filling
- 1 ½ cup roughly chopped fresh Spinach
- ½ tbsp. garlic
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. cracked black pepper
- 6 Lasagna Sheets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups store bought or homemade pasta sauce of your choice (I have used homemade tomato & basil pasta sauce)
- 5-6 Cherry Tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish
1. Clean the prawns by scrubbing it under cold water, de-shell and de-vein them and keeping the tail intact as per your choice. The easier way out will be to get your fish seller to do this for you. (Alternatively if you got medium prawns from Fishvish you just need to thaw them out, they are already cleaned, de-veined and de-shelled for you)
2. Marinate the prawns with olive oil, Italian seasoning, chilli flakes, chopped garlic and salt and keep aside for 15 minutes
3. Meanwhile, get a large pot of water boiling with a dash of salt. When it comes to a full boil, add the lasagna noodles and cook until al dente. When they are finished cooking, drain well in a colander.
4. Spinach Filling: While the noodles are boiling, prepare the filling. In a pan take 1 tbsp. butter, add garlic and roughly chopped spinach. Add a pinch of salt and sauté for about 1 minute or until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and keep aside.
5. Ricotta Filling: In another bowl combine the ricotta, mozzarella, egg, freshly cracked black pepper and mix until well combined and keep aside.
6. Cooking Prawns: Heat a grill pan over medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon butter, toss in the marinated prawns and sauté for about 4 minutes till the prawns are cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
7. When the pasta and filling are ready to go, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
8. On a clean surface, lay out a few pasta sheets at a time. Place a few tablespoons of ricotta filling on each sheet and spread, add the spinach. Place two prawns on one edge of the lasagna sheet and start rolling. Repeat the procedure with the rest of the sheets.
9. In a baking dish pour half of your pasta sauce, making sure that you cover the entire base. Arrange the roll-ups on top of the sauce in the dish. Pour the remaining sauce on top of the lasagna rolls. The sauce will keep the pasta hydrated and soft while baking.
10. Top it off with mozzarella cheese, some more Italian seasoning, cherry tomatoes and basil leaves.
11. Cover the dish with a foil and bake for 30 minutes.
12. Garnish with basil and Enjoy!!!
13. Serve hot or divide into individual portions and refrigerate
She day-dreams about new recipes,
devours cook-books, writes, cooks and
takes pictures of delicious food.