Getting down and dirty over a rusted barbecue on a sunny summer Sunday morning commands appropriate compensation. Found a bag of our Large Prawns in the freezer and not wanting to tax my brain too much, a quick search yielded this recipe. A few minimal tweaks and the result was this absolutely gorgeous and refreshing meal in a bowl!
- 500 gms Fishvish Large Prawns
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsps grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 400 gms Basmati Rice
- 1 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 125 ml hung Yogurt (strained dahi)
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Thaw Large Prawns
- Place prawns in a bowl with garlic, ginger, spices, 2 teaspoons oil and some salt and pepper.
- Stir well to coat, then cover and marinate in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packet instructions. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a largish wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the prawns and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remainig 1 tablespoon oil to the pan, reduce the heat to medium, then add onion and cook, stirring, for 7-8 minutes until light golden brown.
- Stir in the tomato, then cover and simmer over medium heat for 7-8 minutes until tomato is softened.
- Return prawns to pan with yogurt and coriander, then warm through, stirring for 1 minute.
- Season to taste, then serve with rice.
Recipe Credit: Louise Pickford (slight modification by Fishvish)
Image Credit: Ian Wallace