A savory twist to an Austrian dish that is usually sweet – crab meat and cream cheese wrapped in buttery flaky puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- 225 gms FishVish Fresh Frozen Crab Meat, completely thawed and drained
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 225 gms cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp red chili flakes
- 60 ml mayonnaise
- 60 gms sliced almonds
- Spring onions, sliced, about 90 gms
- 2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 500 gms Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
- Salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F or 190°C.
- Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork and keep aside.
- Stir the crab meat and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
- Stir the cream cheese, mayonnaise, almonds, onions, red chili flakes, mustard and salt in a large bowl. Fold in the crabmeat mixture.
- Sprinkle the flour on the work surface. Unfold 1 pastry sheet on the work surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle. Place the pastry sheet onto a baking sheet/tray.
- With the shorter side facing you, spoon half the crab mixture lengthwise down the center of the pastry. Cut strips of the pastry sheet 2 inches apart on either side of the crab meat filling to within 1/2 inch of the filling. Starting at one end, fold the pastry strips over the filling, alternating sides, to cover the filling. Repeat with the remaining pastry sheet and crab meat mixture.
- Brush the pastries with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown. Let the pastries cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 30 minutes.